Wednesday, June 23, 2021

A Johnson City rifle showed up on my doorstep.

 

Johnson City is in  east Tennesse almost in North Carolina.  Lewis Smith and Leroy Fleenor along with Hacker Martin built rifles here.   This is a rifle built by Leroy Fleenor.  I don't know the year, but Mr. Fleenor died in 2016.  I would guess that the rifle was built well before that.

It has a straight .45 cal. barrel with a Dixie Ketland lock.  Typical of the Johnson City guns there are multiple finely engraved inlays with  some carving.

The furniture is german silver.  Due to its age it is is well oxidized and won't shine up.

All that zigzag engraving appears to have been done with individual cuts.  Amazing patience would be required.  


 


The flats of the buttplate return are carried onto the comb and the inlay is shaped to the flats.  No gaps.   Must have been a bear to inlet.















1 comment:

  1. Wow this guy put a lot of intracate details into this rifle. I like the way you include details about the builder.

    ReplyDelete