Sometimes it just seems like a good idea. So one morning, I make a cup of coffee and sit down at my PC to sip and shop. I'm just clicking away when I see a LH .54cal. Bob Harn rifle on the CLA site. It is really nice but I had just put in some bids on the Rock Island auction. I had to wait for the weekend to see if I got the items. Well, I get the email telling me I won my bids, but the thought of a really nice LH Harn rifle was still lurking somewhere in my cerebral cortex. I dare say, it was not lurking but smoldering. After pondering things for a few days, the smolder burst into flames and generated an emailed offer to the gentleman selling the rifle. He says: " Why sure I'll accept your offer". So, here I am the proud owner of a great rifle. Harn was one of the early folks who aged the rifles. So, it has some light aging to give it some personality. It doesn't have that sterile look of some new rifles. When it was built in 1988, it had a percussion ignition. It was later converted to flint by someone else using a Siler flintlock. A rifle like that in percussion just isn't right. The lock needs work and isn't worth fixing. It will work for display, and being a Siler, I can easily replace it with a new one for shooting. A little polishing but leaving a few pits on the new lock, some cold blue, and it will look like it belongs there.
It's a fatty. 9.2lbs. on my digital bathroom scales. The barrel is a swamped 42" .54cal. LOP is 13.75"
It will shoot too. With the replacement lock. 7 shots -50yds. benched. Wish I could do this offhand!!

No comments:
Post a Comment