With the quiet start to my deer season and no new rifles pictures there hasn't been much to report so I will tell the story of my latest deer.
One of the fellows in my RC flying club mentioned that his wife loved venison but he didn't hunt. So I said:" I will get her a deer." With our long season it shouldn't be a problem to get both of us a deer for the freezer. Well, after three weeks of seeing nothing except on my trail camera at night, I was beginning to wonder about that.
Because I have been getting over a cold, I haven't been out much for the last week. Hard to sit quietly when coughing and sneezing. This night I told my wife that I felt better and it is warm, but I am not hunting yet. Said I would just "pretend hunt" the field from the double French door on the back deck with my binoculars.
So, every few minutes when a commercial came on I would pass by the doors and take a look at my food plot down in the corner of my field about 200yds away. Well on one trip to either the bathroom or refrigerator I look down there and what do you know? A lone deer is out there eating at 4pm in broad daylight.
After calling the wife over, she says "That's a dog(It was now facing us head-on with its head down.)", but I say: "No I saw it standing sideways and it is a deer." The binos confirm it is a spike buck. I tell her that I'm going to kill that deer for my buddy's wife, Jeanie. That will let me hunt the rest of the season til 2-10-20 using my normal arm, the flintlock.
After running in and loading my 7mm-08 centerfire rifle(I call it my long shooter.) with 2 rounds, I got out the front door and walk over behind the outbuildings. Reaching the last building, I peep around the corner, and the buck is still there. There is a forked tree in front of me that would make a nice prop but the fork is just a bit too high for a good rest. I sneak to the next tree down, It is about 150yds. from the deer. If I keep my arms in, it is large enough to screen me from the deer. Well I get there and peep around the tree. He is still eating. Hot damn!! I'll get a shot.
I do the old target shooters sling wrap and lean against the tree. When the shot breaks the deer jumps straight up and straight down in sort of a ballet looking movement and spins toward the woods.
I mark where he went in and walk down to look for blood. The way he jumped up and ran told me it wasn't a real solid hit or maybe a low shot under him. No blood at the point of impact!! Bummer!!
After a quick sweep through the woods behind the food plot, it was getting dark, so I go back for the light, and a machete. Using the light to make the blood show better, I finally found one drop on a leaf. Now to go to work tracking an almost nonexistent trail. I crossed the fence and after some side sweeps in the leaves, I found a faint drop on a leaf. Almost like someone smeared it lightly with a finger, but it gave me a direction to sweep some more. These are fairly open woods. The pines shade out the undergrowth. I looked around and found some really fresh deer pellets. He was hit good. Don't always need blood to trail! A little farther on I found another good drop of blood and then a lone pel1et. The deer was just about 15ft. from the last pellet. Success!! There wasn't much blood because I hit him a little high, and the bullet didn't come out the other side. The blood pools in the rib cage. I tried to drag the deer but had my hands full with the deer, light, and machete. Couldn't keep the light pointed where I was going. Back to the truck to put the brights into the woods and for a drag rope. A short drag later I was on the way to the processor. Job done.
Jeanie gets her deer!!
No comments:
Post a Comment