I was sitting at home on a hot Sunday afternoon, and the phone rings. It was Tim wanting to go hog hunting. "I'm in " says I, "When do we leave?". Tim says "Be at my house at 3pm for an evening hunt." After checking my backpack and rifle, I headed south to Ramer. Being on the tired side, I took my 7mm-08 instead of a flintlock. We left on a hot, sunny day and arrived on a cool, cloudy afternoon. The weather in east Alabama was cloudy and threatening rain. It was looking good for hunting hogs in Bullock County. They will move early when it is cool and damp.
After picking our spots, we went up the trail to the shooting houses. These houses are nice carpet lined plywood cubes with comfortable chairs. As I quietly slipped up the trail, it looked more and more like rain. We always slip in because those pesky hogs could be anywhere. Sure enough as I ease down to the shooting house it started sprinkling rain, and there they were, already on the bait. I could see about a dozen little piglets but not the sow. She was behind the curve of the bushes. Bummer, but it was early anyway. I tried to slip across the road, but they moved off. I don't know if they saw me or not. I went ahead and got settled in the house. By then it was a good steady shower, but I was snug in my house.
So there I am playing with my phone, eating crackers, and drinking Gatorade. Having a high old time, when suddenly a bunch of hogs come out of the trees. Two big ones and a bunch of little ones. Probably the ones that left when I arrived. I tracked the darker one in the scope, but she never stood still long enough to shoot. Then they moved off again. It was early, so I go back to my crackers and drink. The feeder ran at 5:45pm and about 15min. later here they come back again. This time something was going to die!!! The dark one was there and stood still this time. The 7mm-08 dropped her in her tracks. No point in getting wet until I have to. So I broke out another pack of crackers.
About a half hour later, it was still showering, but no wind or lightning. When here comes a whole drove of larger hogs running out of the woods toward the corn with a big black and white one in the lead. They went to the corn and milled around to see if the first bunch had left any kernels. Hard to pick a shot. Then a couple of them including the black and white one went over to the one I shot earlier and started smelling it. Bad mistake on her part. After sniffing around the dead one, they headed back to the feeder. The black and white one hung back just a little and stopped. I dropped her where she stood. Not 10ft. from the first kill.
By then it was getting dark so I headed over to examine the kills. As I was walking over, Tim texted me and said he had just killed one at his stand. He used his Joe Schell .60cal. rifle to do the job. What a nice evening. Pigman would be proud of us!!
The two on the left are mine.
Here is a picture of Tim's hog, The .60's ball went right on through and kept going. The hog was DRT.



No comments:
Post a Comment