This is another one of those stories where you have to imagine the rifle laying on the deer. I didn't get a picture, and one doe looks like the next.
After letting one go at Cosby's and letting another walk off at my house, I was primed to kill something. Then I missed one behind the house because I couldn't see the sights in the dark. That made it worse. Something had to die!
I was redoing the peep sight on the Adolphus gun, and it wasn't sighted in yet. So, Thumper got the call from the bullpen. 100gr. of 2F and a .595 ball was the load.
I was in the stand and then it started to rain a light misty type shower. I just put my hand over the lock and sat there. Finally a little doe walked out, crossed the food plot, and came right to me with the light still good.. Bad move on her part.
I already had my earplugs in. (You can't hear deer most of the time anyway.) . Got my trigger hand glove off and rested my elbow on the stand's rail. Concentrating on the sights, I never felt the trigger break, but the gun went off really fast, and the deer was DRT. No trailing needed. Because I had plenty of meat left from last year, the deer was taken to the processor and donated to the area food bank. Someone somewhere needs to be fed.
I have a sort of tradition that if I kill a hog or deer with a rifle, I put one small brass tack right below the triggerguard. Thumper made his tack Saturday evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment