No deer pictures for this story. Just imagine a doe laying on the ground. The set up: I hunted hard, mostly with my flintlock, this season with nary a glimpse of something to shoot..
The hunting/shooting tale: The wife and I were setting the table for supper when, out of habit, I looked out the back door at my food plot. After seeing next to no deer for the two month season in Alabama, there were two does in the food plot down in the corner of my field. Says I to my wife "I wonder if I can get out the front door and make it to the shed for a shot?" So I grabbed my 7mm-08 rifle, put in my ear plugs, put on my shoes, and out the front door I go to put the sneak on the deer. I ran across the front yard to the back of my shop and crept up behind my lawnmower in the open backed, side shed. Figuring I couldn't get any closer, I took a rest on the little pull-behind spreader hitched to the mower. Cranking the scope up to 9 power, I looked for the biggest doe in the twilight. They were the same size. I settled the crosshairs on the shoulder of one of them and let fly with the 120gr. bullet. It was about a two hundred yard shot. (Went out later and measured it at 195yds.) The bullet hit the deer at the base of the neck, destroyed the spine, and it was dead before it hit the ground. A good clean kill with no meat wasted. The bullet was so fast I saw the deer bounce off the ground before the recoil pulled the scope off the target. When the rifle came down from recoil, I could see the the legs sticking up. No flopping around. Great!! No tracking in the dark. Got the truck, took the deer to the processor, and came home to eat supper.
The end.
No comments:
Post a Comment