Friday, March 19, 2021

A Jessie Brennan rifle finds a a new home!!

 

 

Well the brown rifle truck pulled in yesterday with a big wooden box.  A man in Pa. had a Jessie Brennan rifle for sale, and I had just sold a flintlock of about the same amount.  It is always good to trade about even.  It has a .54 cal. 44" swamped barrel with a Siler lock for ignition.  The single acting, double set triggers appear to be handmade.  The front trigger has a good strong spring that lets you touch it without going off too soon.  Lots of well done engraving on it.  He even outlined the buttplate.  Not a new rifle by any stretch, but it is in excellent condition.  Doesn't appear to have been refinished, but the scratches are under the finish.  Maybe it was antiqued a little. Doesn't really matter.  Probably as close as I'll ever get to owning a Brennan rifle of any type.  It is a big gun.  The BP is 5" tall.  One different feature is that the patchbox hole is cut like a dovetail.  Wider at the bottom than the top.  About 1.25" at the lid and 2" at the bottom.  It is huge.

I finally got to go out for a test firing.  It is already sighted in close enough that I could consistently hit my 50yd. 8" gong from the start. 

 





The carving looks high but that is the way it is stained.  It is actually low.






 


 
 

 
 

 

 


 

 

   

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete