I recently got this email and some nice pictures to post from tim Cosby.
"In 2016 at the Tn/Ky Show in Knoxville I was privileged to get to see
and hold the early walnut stocked rifle shown in Rifles of Colonial
America by George Shumway as number 19. After seeing the original I
wanted to have a similar rifle built. I asked Mike Gahagan to build the
rifle and from what I can see he did a superb job. The original rifle
has an octagon to round smooth bore barrel of about .60 cal. but I opted
for an oct. to round rifled .60 cal. barrel by Rice barrel company. The
lock is a Dale Johnson lock by Chambers originally built without a
bridle by LC Rice and further modified by Mike. The excellent walnut
stock blank came from Nathan Cox at Harrison Gunstocks. Larry Zorne
(Mold and Gun Shop) supplied the buttplate and triggerguard castings
along with a lot of information on RCA 19. He also has castings for a
shorter jaeger styled rifle thought to be from the same shop that is
often referred to as the sister to RCA19. Mike made the rest of the
hardware.
All in all I think Mike Gahagan did an outstanding job on his version of RCA 19. This includes a some fine engraving as is done on the original. Gonna be a good looking rifle to use hog hunting. Rumor has it that Mike's version of the sister rifle may be along in the not too distant future.
Mike sent me these pictures of the finished rifle. I plan on picking the rifle up at the Tn/Ky show this month. Stop by my table and look at it. It's gonna be a long wait, but that will save shipping cost and the associated risk of damage to the rifle.
Thanks Mike for a great job.
P.S. I almost had Mike engrave Paxinosa on the sideplate.
(That's an inside joke)"
All in all I think Mike Gahagan did an outstanding job on his version of RCA 19. This includes a some fine engraving as is done on the original. Gonna be a good looking rifle to use hog hunting. Rumor has it that Mike's version of the sister rifle may be along in the not too distant future.
Mike sent me these pictures of the finished rifle. I plan on picking the rifle up at the Tn/Ky show this month. Stop by my table and look at it. It's gonna be a long wait, but that will save shipping cost and the associated risk of damage to the rifle.
Thanks Mike for a great job.
P.S. I almost had Mike engrave Paxinosa on the sideplate.
No comments:
Post a Comment